School governors provide strategic leadership and accountability in schools. Governors appoint the head teacher and deputy headteacher. It is governors who hold the main responsibility for finance in schools, and it is governors who work with the headteacher to make the tough decisions about balancing resources.
The role of a school governor is to contribute to the work of the governing board in ensuring high standards of achievement for all children and young people in the school by:
· ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
· holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
· overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
Each individual governor is a member of a governing board, which is established in law as a corporate body. The role of the governing board is a strategic one, its key functions are to:
- set the aims and objectives for the school;
- set the policies for achieving those aims and objectives;
- set the targets for achieving those aims and objectives;
- monitor and evaluate the progress the school is making towards achievement of its aims and objectives; and
- be a source of challenge and support to the headteacher (a critical friend).
The headteacher is responsible for the internal organisation, management and control of the school and the implementation of the strategic framework established by the governing board.
Strategically, our Governing Board is responsible for ensuring that the Headteacher and staff have the best possible facilities and environment in Tattenhall in which to deliver an excellent education for our children.
Keeping children safe and happy at school is a top priority for the Governing Board.
We are a small team of only 10 plus one associate Governor, so we work together to ensure that new directives in connection with the curriculum are implemented in a timely manner and that school policies are robust and regularly updated to keep abreast of current legislation
We are proud of our school, its staff, Headteacher and students and strive to meet the many challenges which arise during each school year to ensure that Tattenhall continues to deliver a high quality education.
Who is on the Governing Body?
P Brown -Chair
R Morgan -Vice Chair
R Morris - Co-opted Govenor
K Quirk - Co-opted Govenor
A Richards - Co-opted Govenor
C Parkin - Co-opted Govenor
R Wright - Parent Govenor
Please also see Govenor Profiles
What do Governors at Tattenhall Park Primary School do?
- Together with the Head teacher we set the future direction for the school and decide how the school’s budget should be spent.
- As a Governing Body we make decisions collectively on matters such as performance targets, school policies and the school’s development plan.
- We monitor the impact of policies and oversee the use of the school’s budget.
- We report to parents on the school’s achievements and respond to inspection recommendations.
- We hear appeals from pupils and staff, and consider any complaints that may arise.
- As Governors we provide the Head teacher with support and advice, drawing on our own knowledge and experience.
- We ask searching questions and respect the Head teacher’s position as the professional leader of the school.
This role is often called ‘being a critical friend’.